Wednesday, June 01, 2005

little fury bugs

If you’re sitting in traffic, try imagining that everyone else around you is listening to the exact same music you are. Everyone just sittin around, bobbing their heads, singin along to one universal soundtrack. I’ve found it works best with the Shins. Everything seems a little less stressed; everyone seems to have lost their road rage and is now a friend. Just a happy warm fuzzy feeling as you’re cruisin along 405 in bumper to bumper traffic.

But I couldn’t do that yesterday, because we only have the Shins on CD and I was driving the Inter-Stellar-Sphagnum-Mobile (aka the truck), which only has a tape player. A tape player! Whatever happened to tapes? One day I was listening to 102.7 KISS-FM with a blank tape in the player waiting diligently for my favorite NKOTB song to come on so I could record it, straight from the radio; next thing I know, the music stores are overrun with CDs and tapes are over on the wall in the corner. Tapes won’t hang around like records do – there’s some sort of romance that people have with vinyl that doesn’t transfer well to tapes. I’m starting to feel a bit nostalgic for the ff and rw buttons. For fast-forwarding to get to the next song and trying to estimate how long it’ll take, and going too far and having to rewind, and fast-forward again, and again, and again…

No comments: