Thursday, December 29, 2005

M: brain candy

I seem to be suffering from some sort of blogging block, as I've posted, oh, about two times in the last month. B pointed that out to me the other night and I didn't really believe him. But it's true. And to all my faithful readers (ha!) I'm sorry. And to add insult to injury, I don't really have an interesting post planned for today. Arrgh.

Can I tell y'all to not get the flu and just leave it at that? Is that enough for a post?

Guess not.

Maybe I'll recommend
this mother jones article on a creepy Christian Reconstruction movement. I know to take it with a grain of salt (I mean really, who can believe this liberal media trash?) but when you read this, it's hard not to be the slightist bit concerned:

The Old Testament—with its 600 or so Mosaic laws—is the inflexible guide for the society DeMar and other Reconstructionists envision. Government posts would be reserved for the righteous, as long as they are male. There would be thousands of executions a year, with stoning a preferred method because it would turn the deaths into “community projects,” as movement theologian North has noted. Sinners in line for the death penalty would include women who commit adultery or lie about their virginity, blasphemers, witches, children who strike their parents, and gay men (lesbians, however, would be spared because no specific reference to them can be found in the Books of Moses). DeMar told me that among Reconstructionists he is considered something of a liberal, because he’d execute gays only if they were caught indulging in sodomy. “I’m happy to just drive them back into the closet,” he said.
Again, I'm not afraid that we'll actually start stoning adulterers, but it's creepy to think that people like Gary DeMar have a lot of influence in a lot of important places.

How's that for a last-minute post?

Maybe I should have just posted about my best apple pie ever (thank's to Cooks Illustrated), or the homemade pop tarts (thanks to Alton), or the fabulous Christmas dinner hosted by the Kids In The Quah.

Oh well. There it is. Take it or leave it. I'll be more interesting tomorrow. :)

No comments: