Monday, February 06, 2006

M: wine flavored candy?

During our regular weekly outing to Larry's Market, B and I were stopped in front of the new British food section, and found this:

Wine Gums? We had to buy it. Those crazy Brits! Wine flavored candy? What will they think of next? Look - it says that there are different flavors like port, bordeau, sherry, even champagne!

Except when we got it home and tried some, it was a different story. They don't actually taste like wine, they are "fruit"-flavored with different kinds of wines printed on the front. I was sorely disappointed. Silly Brits.

This weekend I also finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. Has anyone else out there read it? I'm curious what other folks think. It was good - a page turner/love story/adventure sort of book, but I didn't really like the end. I won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it, but the last couple pages really seemed unnecessarily sad, and it almost made Clare seem pathetic. Did anyone else get that feeling?

2 comments:

susan said...

I love that book, but the first time I read it I cried for the last 150 pages. Kevin was worried.

I agree that it's unnecessarily tragic/depressing/futile at the end, but I found that bothered me less on subsequent re-readings... Maybe we can have a bookgroup at knitting tomorrow. :-)

mandy said...

Oooh that sounds good! Only I'm not going to be able to make it this week. Next week for sure though.