Wednesday, March 12, 2008

B: The real Chunk Shady?

We are nearing the 3 month mark in Sacto, so I have prepared some observations in comparing Sac to Seattle:

  • The air is really dry and kind of dusty. Our faces are always a little dirtier and dryer than we are used to.
  • White people here are a bit more redneck middle america.
  • It is a way more "diverse" here than we remember. I am totally unaccustomed to seeing so many young people of color all over the place. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any groups of young black men throwing down rhymes on a street corner, so my 8 Mile fantasy has yet to come true.
  • It is definitely a bit more suburban here and people take casualness a bit further than we are used to. We don't mean the "i'm outdoorsy" casual or the "i'm uber hip" casual, but the "i am a slob wearing sweat pants" casual.
  • Sacto is flat. You know how Seattle has a fucking hill everywhere you turn, and it makes cycling there a bit more challenging? Not so here. It is flat. I can do the 12 miles from the house to the office in <45
  • It is way harder to find the pockets of coolness that exist in any city when you have a kid. Amanda and I knew the places that we liked in Seattle from our pre-marriage, pre-baby days. Now with the kid in tow it is harder to try out all of the dessert cafes and thai restaurants to find the ones that are the best.
  • People drive fast here and it is good. You know my ridiculously overpowered turbo charged neon? Yep, it makes a whole lot of sense here where merging at 90 miles an hour is occasionally the appropriate thing to do, not just the fun thing to do.
  • It is spring and 70 degrees every day for the last week mofo! When I flew to Seattle this weekend it was 45 and grey. When I got home it was 70 and sunny. I know it will be 90+ soon, but spring is awesome.

While we were in the ghetto apartment waiting to get into our house, Mandy and I started playing some games like, How high can you stack Lily's blocks? (ANSWER = 13). I made up a new game I like to call, How many plastic animals can you stack?, but it didn't really catch on.


2 comments:

scotty said...

you need to add another label to this post and it's fantastic closing photo...


and that label is:
tinyplasticanimalorgy

Lefty said...

Unfortunately I am afraid I would only use the label once. Like I said, the game never caught on.