Sunday, August 31, 2008

B:Rot Gut

A wine review...





Newman's Own Wine - Sonoma Valley Cabernet Sauvignon




I bought this because it was on sale. Normally $18, the supermarket had it for $13. I should have known it was too much to hope for it to be a dependable inexpensive Cab. From the pour into the decanter it was thin and watery with a strong nose of alcohol and cedar. I had my first sip after an hour in the decanter.


The first sip was heavily tannic with a leathery feeling on the tongue, strong alcohol on the nose and dirt and tobacco on the pallette with just a little fruit thrown in there, and a touch of vanilla on the finish. Initially I thought that it just needed a little more air and time, and it did open up a bit to some fruit with plums and currant, but it retained the tannins on the front and the dirt / tobacco / wood in the mid pallette. After sipping over several hours, it just didn't get any better.

Lot's of wine in the jug variety are of similar quality. It isn't quite vinegar or corky, but it sure as hell doesn't taste nice either. On doing a bit of research it would appear that Paul has branded wine produced by the three thieves. This is pretty close to their usual level of quality in my opinion and a big fat waste of money. This one goes in the same category as the Newman Newtons as barely passable, and fails to reach the quality established in the dressings and other cookies.

For my $13 I wish I had.....9 Hagen Daz bars, or the Thermals album ironically (or not) titled Fuckin A.

No comments: